#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Monday, January 23, 2012

Versatile Blogger Award goes to...

Aloha,
Well, I don’t know how your weekend was, but I hope all was well, ‘cos I got a wonderful surprise Saturday.
Cool New Badge Look :)
Lara Schiffbauer wrote to say she’d put me up for a Versatile Blogger award.
Lara is a wife, mom, writer and a licensed clinical social worker, so you know this is one sharp cookie, so I was – am – honored.
She’s blogged at Lara Schiffbauer’s Motivation for Creation since November 2010. I’ve followed Lara for several months and really enjoy her posts including this one. Lara always fills her posts with a ton of great information, so an award from her means a lot.
Thanks Lara!

Now, to accept the Versatile Blogger Award, the rules state I must share six things none of y’all know about me… but I’m going to mess with the rules … a little :)
Only FIVE of the following six things truly happened… the other is a figment of my imagination :)
Can you guess which one is a Big Fat LIE :)
(As I already have a 200-word inspirational contest going through Friday, there’s no prize except for bragging rights :)
Here are my six:

1.      I was born in Dublin, Ireland and have moved about SIXTY times since leaving the Emerald Isle twenty-three years ago. While travelling Europe, I lived (and worked) in Holland (server); Spain (hotel entertainer); France (Opening Crewmember of EuroDismal) and England (restaurant manager.)

2.      While living in Northern England, I once (on a dare) streaked naked across the length of the Leeds United Football (soccer) Club pitch… all the while screaming “You’ll never take me alive, coppers!!!”

Rhode Island Sunset
    3.      I moved to the U.S. in 1996 (with my trusty Green Card) and have driven coast-to-coast five times. I’ve lived (or at least driven) in thirty-five states. (Highlights include watching a sunrise in Key West, Fla.; nearly crashing a van while driving on the Brooklyn Bridge in New York; running out of gas in Pecos, Texas; drinking homemade wine offered by a Native American Indian in Blackwater, Ariz. and becoming a naturalized citizen in Montobello, Calif. on July 3, 2003.)




4.       After 9/11, I wanted to change my life (which was already a mess.) I tried joining the USAF – and the detailer was willing to take me –the wages meant for a nineteen-year-old wouldn’t be enough for a thirty-one-year-old with horrendous credit. So I decided to walk around the world.

5.      In 2003, I proposed to my girlfriend (who I’d met on a blind date in 2002) in front of 2,000 people via the JumboTron at the Shamu Show in SeaWorld, San Diego.

(Luckily, she said yes, but immediately asked if I’d asked permission from her parents. I had :)

6.      Since 2002, I’ve ran one half and nine full marathons. I’m on schedule to complete my personal challenge of “Ten in Ten” when I run the Honolulu marathon this December.

(I’ll post the ONE Big Fat LIE at the top of this Friday’s post:)

So there’s five weird things you probably didn’t want to know, and now I can pass the award to six other Brilliant Bloggers. (Click the link to go directly to their blogs)… and the Versatile Blogger Award goes to… (Rips weird-looking gold envelope):

·         Michael Offutt

·         Stacy Jensen

·         K.T. Hanna

·         Holly Kammier

·         Morgan Shamy

·         Emily R. King

Folks, these are great peeps, and it’s been my pleasure getting to know each and every one since I started blogging this past September.

 PS. thanks again – so much – to Lara Schiffbauer for hooking a brother up.

(Cheap microphone clicks on…) And finally, we know you have many blogging options, so on behalf of today’s captain and the entire write crew, we appreciate you flying with “Aloha, and Hi! from HI” Bloglines. If you are transferring to another Blog, we wish you safe travels. And, if this is your final destination, welcome home :)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Bro!! I know the big fat lie, But your secret is safe with me!!!

K.T. Hanna said...

Thanks for the award hon. I think I already have this one, but this new shiny icon is muuuuuuch prettier :D

You're very international :D And I'm so glad she said yes!

Anonymous said...

You are way more cool than I imagined. Are you sure that one's a lie? I could totally see you doing all of those things. Congrats on the awards!

Morgan said...

*Freaks out* How cool are you, Mark??? Thanks so much! And I loved reading about you! You and my hubby would totally get along great. He's done several ultra-marathons and owns a triathlon company. You guys are the coolest breed of people! (besides writers of course *winks*)

Loved the fun facts about you! And thanks for the award!

Cassie Mae said...

I can't decide which one you're lying about. I wanna say the streaking one, but I want that one to be true cuz that's freakin' awesome!

Hmmm.... I'm gonna say the last one. (Thanks eenie meenie miney mo!)

And congrats on the award! Whoot whoot!

Leigh Covington said...

Awesome! Congrats on the award! I met my hubby on a blind date too! Crazy - cause those are never supposed to work out. And I'm so jealous that you've got to travel so much. One day I hope to travel LOTS!

Emily R. King said...

Thanks a million for the award!
Not to sound perverted, but I could totally imagine you as a streaker.

Yeah, I guess that did come off perverted. ;D

Sarah Tokeley said...

I'm going with the streaking one as being a lie. I've watched many a match at Elland road and it's TOO COLD to do that! (If it's true, you're a braver soul than I) :-)

Mark Koopmans said...

@ Unknown: Yo, Little Brother, shhh!

@ K.T.: I'm *glad* too, trust me :)

@ Mel: Cheers, but yes, there is one I'm glad I didn't do :)

@ Morgan: No worries, appreciate all your comments, but I think your hubby would laugh himself silly when it comes to my running skills... I bow down to those ultra-running dudes:)

@ Cassie: Ha! Ha! All will be revealed Friday (excuse the pun!!)

@ Leigh: Thanks and blind dates are cool, right:) Good luck with travel plans... it *can* be a lot of fun, just don't forget the camera!!

@ Emily: Hilarious! 'Nuff said.

@ Sarah: But what if I ate a packet of spicy Monster Munch to warm up the cockles of me heart :)

@ EVERYONE: Y'all are CRACKING ME UP!!! Thanks for the Monday morning laughs :)

Nancy Thompson said...

Congratulations! What an interesting life you've led! can't wait to hear about the big fat lie :)

David P. King said...

Congrats on the award. I honestly think I'm following every one of your recipients.

I'm going to have to guess #2, because if that's not a lie, I will both laugh and give you mad props!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Congrats on the award and thanks for passing it on. Lots of fun facts about yourself. Wow. That took a lot to add up ALL those moves.

Unknown said...

Amazing things you learn about people! You are very well traveled! Love it! I'd have to sit down and see how I stacked up in your "states" but you got me beat in the countries department. :) Although, I've been traveling around since I was a babe! Now, though, I think we've settled.

Your marriage proposal story is just wonderful! I love soul mate stories and fairy tale endings! I've got one too :)

Mark Koopmans said...

@ Nancy: I'm getting so many comments, the "reveal" might turn out to be a post of its own :)

@ David: Sir, one must plead the Fifth on account you are at least a sixth right :)

@ Stacy: No worries, and yes the moves (some anyway!) were crazy, but I'm *not* in Witness Protection :)

@ Lady Jai: Cheers, and bring it on, there Lady... let's hear your story... now that *does* sound like a post in the making :)

Lara Schiffbauer said...

Thanks for the nice comments, Mark! It was fun to read the stories about you, too. I just can't decide on which is the lie, though. I think I'll go with trying to join the Air Force? Hmm. I just don't know!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Thank you for the award Mark and congratulations on getting it from someone else. I shall have to blog about this soon :)

M Pax said...

Hard to pick out the big lie. You had a lot of interesting items packed in there. Congrats on the award.

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;